Saturday, May 30, 2009

2D or not 2D?

I find it rather astounding how some of the old styles of gaming are still appealing t me (and apparently others) even after all these years. I guess that even after games have developed to the level of sophistication they are at now, sometimes what we want is something fast and colorful. That's where indie games usually come in.

Yesterday I have bumped (on Gamasutra) onto the game Ivory Springs, which is an unfinished game. However, what little there is can be downloaded freely and is quite lovely. It's an old-style 2D platformer with anime style characters. The graphics are colorful, vibrant and pleasing to the eye. The gameplay is fast and simple, with a few easy platforming puzzles and fast-paced battles. Too bad the project was discontinued, but if you have some spare time, give it a try, its small to download (about 4MB) and is easy on the resources.



Will I ever get tired of anime style?

You can get it here:
http://www.konjak.org/section.php?section=ivory

Another fun platformer which I knew for some time is Knytt Stories. It is an atmospheric game with emphasis on exploration rather than puzzling or fighting. There are several 'quests' that were released by the author of the game, as well as several other quests released by the community. I especially enjoyed the music in the game, which is a relaxing blend of guitar and some new-age music, which sets the atmosphere in a very nice way. The graphics are simple, but convey exactly what I think the game is all about: mood.



The environments are relaxing and beautiful in their own way.

You can get it here:
http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories

Both games are simple, compact and easy to play. If you have some extra time, you should give them a try. Maybe the influence of nostaligia talking, but I believe that it doesn't matter how old this style of gameplay is - these games are enjoyable.

8 comments:

  1. regression by psu breakage. lovely. i guess you took my advice oh youngling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I cannot deny that the demise of my PSU was part of the reason I went out to seek simpler games, I have already known Knytt Stories, as I have said in the post. However, your advice did provide me with a new search path, so kudos to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as the resources aren't too taxed.

    I should send your PC a get well soon crad. You may not survive long without it :p.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, try the games, you may even like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a problem with 2D GPU boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, is that the lesson you got from my post?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait. There was a lesson? I didn't bring my notebook!

    I know you sometimes play that stuff too, but I also know how you love seeing the high quality graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, but as much as I like pretty graphics, this isn't the main driving force behind my love for a game.

    ReplyDelete