Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Speaking of Remakes…

In my previous post I talked about remakes and my ambiguity towards them. This week I have played a little bit of Street Fighter IV, which is mostly a remake of the good old Street Fighter II. Why mostly? Well, there are some new characters, and (if anybody cares) there is a new story for each of the characters.

In any case, I consider this game a remake, and, in my opinion, it is a good thing. I loved playing Street Fighter II at the arcades as a kid. I loved playing it years later on emulators and consoles. Street Fighter IV is almost identical in gameplay to Street Fighter II. The graphics are “next-gen” and there is a more than functional multiplayer mode and other goodies, but the core gameplay is the same. Even the moves for the old characters are played in the exact same way, so old geezers like yours truly can find themselves right at home from the get go.


Fast action flawlessly combined with spectacular graphics. I can almost feel her pain… 

And still, the game feels fresh, and I believe new gamers will find it no less attractive even without the nostalgic factor. How can this be explained? Is it because other fighting games, such as Tekken, rely mostly on button mashing while Street Fighter still requires some tactics and finesse? Or maybe I really am blinded by nostalgia? Whatever the reason, I am enjoying this game, whether its when I perform an ultra combo finish or when a friend wipes the floor with my dignity (you know who you are!), I am having fun with a fighting game like I haven’t had in a long long time.

So here is a remake I know exactly how I feel about. Maybe this is the answer I was looking for. I cannot have a specific opinion on all the remakes in the world. Some could be really good and polished such as Street Fighter IV, some might not.

6 comments:

  1. played it. graphics is smooth and fast but the whole 2d thing just doesnt cut it any more for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have crushed you, little one! Muahahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eran: 2D is fun for some, but I understand why it might not be enough for others.

    Yoel: You are evil!! E V I L !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remake or not remake, the gameplay and graphics are great, which make this game totaly worth on its one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one. I still have ancient version of Street Fighter on my PC, playing it with DOS-box sometimes. :-)

    As for the concept of Remakes, I agree one can't have opinion on them all.. each Remake is on its own like in movies and sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fun game to watch :).

    As for the 2D; sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete