Friday, July 10, 2009

Doing and Redoing

I don’t know what to make of remakes. It seems to me that a gaming company that releases a modern remake of an oldie is either doing this to please the fans of the original game, or just because they want to milk the franchise to death. What I cannot decide is whether or not the reason even matters.

 
No doubt that the remake looks amazing. But then again, we all know that the original was great.

With the impending re-release of The Secret of Monkey Island by Lucasarts, I am trying to focus on whether or not I am excited about this release. After all, this was an adventure game that stood above all other adventure games of its time and gave me hours of fun and laughter. And pirates. lots and lots of pirates. So a modern remake of the game with new graphics, music and voice casting must certainly swash my buckles, right? Who cares that Lucasarts are releasing this game really close to Telltale’s own version of Monkey Island that was released 3 days ago? Why should it matter that Lucasarts, who abandoned the adventure games genre years ago in order to focus on releasing tons of Star Wars games is suddenly releasing an adventure, which is a remake of an old favorite? Why would I mind that they are publically saying that they promise to release more adventures only if this new remake sells well?

 
At least Telltale is trying something new.

Well, I don’t know why, but I do mind. It does matter to me. Where Telltale attempted (with more success than not) to recreate the franchise and came up with a brand new Monkey Island adventure, Lucasarts is reusing its old material and is also “holding hostage” its other franchises unless their demands are met. It just feels wrong to me. Its the difference between a company that creates and therefore contributes to the advancement of video games, to a company that recycles for money. Lucasarts used to be the first type of company when it came to adventure games. I really hope that there is at least some soul behind their actions.

9 comments:

  1. Ahoy mateys! Lets raid their ship and make a the scurvy dogs walk the plank!

    I get the criticism about LucasFarts (it was there. I took it) recycling instead of creating good new stuff. What I don't understand though, is why you would criticize them for saying they'll make more remakes only if this one does well. Do you expect them to volunteer to lose money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh, interesting.
    can you expound more on telltale? how come there are 2 versions of monkey island?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SilentMike: Any company has to make money. It goes without saying that if it doesn't sell well, it would probably be unwise of them to release anymore remakes. It doesn't necessarily means they should not release original adventure games. However, them SAYING it to the press is kind of a way of them "threatening" the fans that if they won't buy the game, Lucasarts will not release anymore adventures. Do you see where I am going with this?

    Anonymous: Telltale games are a separate company that bought the rights to the Monkey Island franchise from Lucasarts. That is why they released a new Monkey Island game. In the meantime, Lucasarts has decided to release a remake of the old Monkey Island game. That's why there are two versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said I agree with the criticism about originality.

    I see where you're going with this. But why do you view it as a threat or a shakedown? Why not just a declaration of intent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because it saying something that obvious in such a direct manner is easily seen as a threat. It is a breaking of the wall between the "video game maker" and "company" part - a disclosure of the evil behind the product. I don't know else to explain this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You said it yourself: "Any company has to make monkey" ... :)
    Nothing is wrong with rerelasing. It is also aimed at new gamers who don't know Guybrush and his shipmates. It's the same as remaking a movie. Lucasarts did not invent it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaron, I never said that re-releasing was a bad thing... I was only bitter about the "threat" from Lucasarts about us buying their game or they won't be releasing anymore classic remakes. I am still ambiguous about remakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is very hard to invent yourself

    and I do not know what were their intentions when they wanted to recreate the game ,

    but sometimes redoing stuff is good when it comes to games (unlike films)

    maybe this renewal was a bad one

    but i will not give up reviving old games completely ....sometimes it is good to reminisce

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if the actual remake will be good or bad (in fact, I am betting it would be quite good). Also, check out my newer post about the subject. I wrote about a definite winner remake :)

    ReplyDelete