Monday, March 16, 2009

Starting off with a grrrrrrrrr..........

First blog post ever, and I'm starting with a rant. And I'm ranting about the only computer company nobody ever complained about before: Microsoft.

Yes, I know. Microsoft is amazing, and I must really be out of my mind to even think that there might be something wrong there. Alas, I'm afraid I have encountered something and I am going to share it with... whoever reads this godforsaken blog.

Horribly outdated sarcasm aside, I have known Microsoft for most of my life. I have been through the early DOS days, I have lived through the multiple versions of Windows and I have endured the bugs, the lies and the unstoppable aggressiveness. However, up until now, I just lived through it all.

So what was it that made me furious enough to actually write about it in a blog? In this case, it is not the 'what', as it is the shameless way in which Microsoft are forcing their product onto me, which is the XBOX360 Controller for Windows.

These days, many games are created with consoles in mind. Controls are perfected for the consoles, making these games much less comfortable to use with the mouse and keyboard. So buying a game pad for the PC is nothing new. Microsoft have released their own controller for the PC. A game that supported a game pad would usually support the MS controller.

However, more and more games that were imported from the XBOX360 to the PC do not support any game pad that is not XBOX360 compatible! Some companies had the decency to at least include some support, but with no default binding for non-XBOX360 game pads!

As I searched through forums for a solution to that problem, most of the answers were along the lines of "just buy the XBOX360 controller". This is the main way in which people are addressing this issue! It just enrages me to see how easily Microsoft is bullying us to use their game pad! It's a small peripheral and it is not that expensive, but why the hell do I have to use it if I already have a perfectly good Logitech game pad?! Even the button layout is virtually the same! Any game that works with the XBOX controller should work with the simplest Logitech game pad!

I took a lot of crap from Microsoft over the years. I don't know why it never bothered me this much before. Maybe it's because I am an avid gamer and something like that is more personal to me. Maybe it's because of the way that Microsoft is not even trying to hide their aggressiveness in this case and still gets away with their dirty trick. Or maybe it's because this is the straw that broke the camel's back, while I was sitting on the camel, making me fall off it and break MY FUCKING GAME PAD!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your game pad!
    The problem, as always, is very very simple and very very final: there's no real alternative.
    We know it and *they* know it, and there it all ends.
    We need to think of this in terms of: "Whatever.." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, that is exactly what I did :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprused that Vista even works (and I'm streaching the word "works" here) with a logitech mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just you. We are ALL surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried a non-Mac accessory with a Mac?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I was lucky enough to avoid Mac altogether...

    ReplyDelete