Sunday, March 22, 2009

An eternal story

Time travel. Everybody loves time travel stories. Books, movies and video games have been depicting time travelling since the dawn of time… Um… maybe not. But they existed for a long time. Too bad most of these stories are rubbish. It’s not easy to maintain a coherent storyline with time travelling fucking everything up with changes to the timeline. It’s even harder to maintain a storyline with the added interactivity of a video game. Nevertheless, one game in particular did manage to do exactly that: Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger 

The game is as old as time itself, so I won’t recap the story, since it has been done so many times before. The reason I’m even writing about it is thanks to the Vintage Game Club, which gave me an excuse to play this lovely game again and relive one of the greatest adventures ever to grace a video game console. So instead, I will try and post my thoughts about the game as I play through it over the next few days or maybe even weeks (It’s THAT epic).

Funny thing is that while many people had played this game for the first time on their SNES (Super Nintendo), I have played it on my PC using a SNES emulator. I have downloaded this game without even knowing what I was about to play. I was (and still kind of is) a huge fan of Square (Square Enix these days) and after finishing the unbelievable Final Fantasy VI, I was looking for any Square game I could lay my hands on. Therefore, Chrono Trigger was a completely random choice. In Israel, gaming took a long time to sink in (it never really did, though), so I have never heard about this game before. Lucky me, huh?

Nu

Anyway, as I am once again getting ready to begin my journey through the many places and ages of the world of Chrono Trigger, I’m feeling a bit excited. It has been a long time since I have had a great gaming adventure as deep and as rewarding as this one, and I’m looking forward to share some of my views on it.

4 comments:

  1. Man. You can totally see her upper boob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More to the point she's a cartoon. How are you supposed to know with anime anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. Hell, for an anime character, she may even be considered TOO old..

    ReplyDelete